Guanacaste Fishing reports
We have had good fishing for this time of the year (April and May) last three years. This is the transition month between dry season and rainy season. Good offshore fishing for sails, marlin, mahi mahi and for roosters and many other species when fishing inshore.
Here a few reports for last fishing days...
May 7th and 8th, 2017
We took the Carl Balzo group, from the Riu Palace hotel, fishing for two days on board La Manta boat and Lino Guido captain. They had a very busy day and a second day not soo good...
May 6th, 2017
We fishing out of Coco beach with Tim Harper and his wife on board the La Manta boat and Lino Guido captain. We took them inshore fishing near the Bat Islands on La Manta boat with Lino Guido captain. They had not much action; however they caught a very nice a good sized hamberjack which was released.
May 2, 3 and 5th, 2017
Lance Talbert and his father were fishing with us for for 3 days on La Chila boat. Lance sent me a few pics for the fishing reports.
April 30, 2017
We took Joe Baumann and his wife Vicki from the Riu hotel fishing for 6 hours charter on La Manta boat and Lino Guido captain. Well, for a 6 hours charter fishing offshore they had a nice time if fishing and released 3 sails.
April 26, 2017
Richard Luper and his wife were fishing with us on board La Manta boat and Lino Guido captain. They had a nice time fishing offshore for a full day
April 8, 2017
David Willis and his son were fishing with Lino Guido on the La Manta boat for a 6 hours charter. They had a nice time fishing offshore...
Fishing On September 28th, 2013.
Myself, my son Esteban and my nephew Diego were inshore fishing on last Saturday, September 28th on board our LA CHILA-G. My brother Arnaldo Mendez, the captain, took us where the fish are. I say this in present cause we have had very good fishing since late July and continue.
This is late September and no much rains, just a few showers and flat seas conditions. We had great time fishing something for dinner. At 9am we had a bonito and a small dorado, later, by 10am we released two sailfish. We had good dorado/mahi-mahi biting; however, only kept 7 of them and a good sized wahoo. In the way back we saw 3 whales near Playa del Coco.
Fishing On September 15th, 2013.
On their second day charter, Mike Sheerin, Victor Rossi and Jim Marcel were inshore fishing again for a half day charter. This time they were a little happier due the fishing was better. They caught 6 dorados, a small tuna and also landed two nice pacific sailfish. Enough for a 4 hours charter, right? Hope to see you guys once again next year!!!.
Fishing On September 12th, 2013.
Mike Sheerin was fishing with us last year and also was fishing with us today for a half a day inshore charter on board the CORMORAN. He and two more friends are staying in Coco beach and want to be fishing for a few more days. Today they caught 4 small dorados and released a sailfish.
Fishing On September 7th, 2013.
- Today was the last day of fishing of the Griffin couple from the Riu Guanacaste hotel. They wanted to go deep sea fishing again as the first time. Landed 4 of 6 sailfish and also caught 2 bull dorados.
Fishing On September 6th, 2013.
- Phillip and Heidi Moore were fishing with us for 3 days on board our MONO boat and Jesus Mendez captain. They had a nice time fishing with us, caught a lot of dorado and a sailfish.
- Chris and his wife in their second day fishing with us. As the first time, they were on board the LA CHILA-G boat with Arnaldo Mendez captain fishing inshore. They relased 3 roosterfish and caught one dorado.
Fishing On September 5th, 2013.
- Fishing is hot for both: offshore and inshore. Today we took the Ginger Copeland group deep sea fishng on board LA CHILA-G boat and they had a great day, landing 3 of 5 sailfish and 3 dorados fishing offshore. In the afternoon they were fishing inshore and caught 2 roosterfish too.
- Jesus Mendez on board the CORMORAN boat took Sarah Ruscheinsky and her group fishing for a full day. They landed 2 sailfish and caught 15 dorados.
Fishing On September 4th, 2013.
- Today was the last try for the Marcellus Plenge group and they decided to go after roosterfish for a half day charter on board the CORMORAN boat, and they did it, the released 4 roosterfish.
On September 3rd, 2013.
- Chris Christopher and his wife were deep sea fishing with us on board LA CHILA-G and Arnaldo Mendez captain. They had a nice and landed 9 of 12 sailfish and also caught 3 dorados.
- This was the Marcellus Plenge group second day charter. They were deep sea fishing on board the CORMORAN boat and Jesus Mendez captain. Released 4 of 7 sailfish and caught one dorado.
On September 2nd, 2013.
- Phillip Bryan Moore and his wife were fishing with us on board our MONO boat. They had a busy day and caught a lot of dorado, a few more of 20 of them.
On August 31, 2013.
- The group of Marcellus Plenge was fishing with us on board our LA CHILA-G boat. They had a nice inshore fishing charter catching roosterfish and other inshore species.
On August 15, 2013
Today is a holiday here in Costa Rica, this is Mother day.
Jesus Mendez on board the CORMORAN boat took Matt Katz group deep sea fishing out of Playa Conchal. They had a nice day and landed 6 of 8 sailfish.
On August 9, 2013
Arnaldo Mendez, on board LA CHILA-G boat took Alex Heinze and 3 more people deep sea fishing from Playa Conchal. They had a good time and released 4 sailfish and also caught 2 yellowfin tunas.
On August 8, 2013
This time, Mark Barbera and his family were inshore fishing on board LA CHILA-G boat and Arnaldo captain. They released 5 roosterfish, one hamberjack and other inshore species fishing for a full day charter.
This is not a peak marlin season; however, captains have been reporting a few blues released lately.
Jesus Mendez on board the CORMORAN boat took Roberto White and two more friends deep sea fishing. They landed the 300lbs Blue Marlin shown in the pic below.
On August 6, 2013
Arnaldo Mendez, on board LA CHILA-G boat took Mark Barbera and his family deep sea fishing. All of them had good action and landed 6 of 8 sailfish and caught 3 dorados.
On August 5, 2013
Camacho, the El Jefe boat captain took 3 people from the Exlusive Resort in Papagayo inshore fishing for a half a day. They released 2 sailfish and caught 3 dorados.
On August 4, 2013
Camacho, the El Jefe boat captain took his one guy fishing for a day. The splitted the day half day inshore and half day offshore. By the end of the day, they released 2 sailfish, caught 3 dorados and 3 roosterfish.
On August 2, 2013
Jesus Mendez, the MONO boat captain, picked Nelson Albareda and his two kids up from the Four Seasons hotel deep sea fishing for 6 hours. They had a nice day and released one sailfish and caught 18 mahi mahi.
On July 22, 2013
- More inshore fishing reports, this time Arnaldo Mendez, on board LA CHILA-G boat took the party of Garry Brunton for a full day charter. They had a nice day and caught different species fishing inshore.
On July 18, 2013
- The Steve Lee group from the Riu Guanacaste resort was fishing with us today on board LA CHILA-G boat. They were fishing half day offshore and half day in shore on a full day charter. Raised 3 sailfish and landed two of them, also, caught 2 cubera snapper, 2 dorados and 4 good sized roosterfish.
On July 15-16, 2013
Ok, right now weather is fantastic, no showers lately since this is the Veranillo de San Juan, which is 15-21 days phenomenon that stop rains and since it is not the windy season we have excellent conditions for fishing. And fishing, well, it has been nice, last week we were fishing of Catalinas islands/Flamingo region and we caught sailfish and big dorado. Captain Frank Berrocal on board the Coyote 3 reported one 300 lbs marlin, a sailfish and couple of dorados fishing of Tamarindo. Other boats reported more sailfish fishing at North of Catalinas.
Lately, we have been fishing very close to the shore, just 25-30 minutes boat running from Playa del Coco, Hermosa, Riu hotels and others spots for both: offshore and inshore. Yesterday, Jesus Mendez on board the CORMORAN reported 7 sailfish released and also caught a couple of dorados just 30 minutes of Playa del Coco. Adrian Mendez was for a half a day on board the Sea Snake boat and released one sailfish and also caught 3 jack jurel. Today, Arnaldo Mendez on board LA CHILA-G landed 2 sails, also caught 4 jack jurel, a lot of bonitos and 3 dorados.
On July 16th, Jesus Mendez, took Gary Tobiczyk and his son on board the Cormoran deep sea fishing and landed a 300 lbs marlin and also caught 2 dorados and some jacks too.
On July 12, 2013
John Kelley and his wife were deep sea fishing with us on board our Cormoran boat. Thy had a great time fishing with us and here a couple of pics from their fishing charter:
On June 27, 2013
- We picked up a group of 12 people from Playa del Coco; they booked LA CHILA-G for full day and the CORMORAN for a 6 hours. There were 6 adults and 6 kids on the group. The group on board the CORMORAN boat wanted to fishing near the shore and they made the right choice, since released 3 sailfish and caught for 3 dorados and 3 jack jurel. The group on board LA CHILA-G wanted to go offshore and had a bad day; they caught nothing.
This is fishing ... who would say that fishing inshore would be better to catch a sailfish than reach offshore spots?
- In other hand, on his second day, the Lott couple (Andrew and Kate) were inshore fishing on board the BAHAMAS boat and ... the Andrew dream came true, he released a nice 50 lbs roosterfish.
On June 25, 2013
- Andrew Lott and his wife Kate Lott, from the Westin Playa Conchal hotel were deep sea fishing on board LA CHILA-G boat and Arnaldo Mendez captain. They raised 5 sailfish and landed 3 of them, also caught 3 dorados and released a 200pounds Black Marlin.
- Jesus Mendez on board the CORMORAN boat picked up a group of 5 guys from the Riu Guanacaste and took them deep sea fishing. They had a nice day and landed a sailfish each one, 5 sailfish released total and caught 5 dorados.
On June 21, 2013
- Arnaldo Mendez, LA CHILA-G captain picked the Santangelo family up from the beach in front of the Riu Guanacaste hotel at 7:30am and took them for a full day fishing charter. In the morning they were deep sea fishing and released 2 sails and caught a few small dorados; in the afternoon they were inshore fishing and caught 4 jack jurel, one hamberjack and a few bonitos.
On June 19, 2013
- Chris Stees and his wifer were deep sea fishing on board our LA CHILA-G boat with Arnaldo Mendez captain. They had a nice day and fishing offshore and released two sailfish and a few dorados.
On May 29, 2013
- Ben Luckert and his wife were fishing on board our SEA SNAKE boat for a half a day inshore fishing. They had a nice day and released two sailfish and caught 3 dorados and 3 small bonitos.
- Jesus Mendez, on board the CORMORAN boat, took 3 guys fishing out of Riu Guanacaste for a full day. They raised 3 sails and landed two of them, also caught 3 dorados and a lot of bonitos.
On May 28, 2013
Right now fishing is very close to the shore; yes, i am talking about sail/marlin and mahi fishing. Each year, for a few weeks, billfish come to shore after big school of small dorado and bonitos that come to the gulf; so, action take place very close to us, short boat running, just 20 or 25 minutes and we can start trolling.
- Today, The Ron Shepperd group wanted to make the last trip for a half a day and booked our CORMORAN boat and the TUNA FISH. There were 4 guys on board each vessel and were fishing inshore, near the same spots they were yesterday. They released 2 sailfish on each boat and caught 5 dorados.
- Arnaldo Mendez, the LA CHILA-G captain took the Mark Blaer group from the Riu Palace hotel for a 6 hours trip. They a nice time and raised 6 sailfish, landed 4 of them and had time for 2 small roostefish too.
On May 27, 2013
- The Ron Shepperd group from the Riu Guanacaste hotel was fishing on board LA CHILA-G and CORMORAN for a 6 hours trip both. They had a nice day landing: 4 sailfish the guys on board the CORMORAN and 4 sails on LA CHILA-G, also caught a few dorados and a few bonitos.
and the weather...well, you can see in the pic below, it is perfect, no windy conditions and no showers, calm seas and sail, dorado, rooster and other species are biting!!!
On May 25, 2013
- Trey Allen and his wife, from the Four Seasons Resort, were deep sea fishing (and snorkeling) on board the MONO boat and Jesus Mendez captian. They had a nice day fishing in the gulf of Papagayo, raised 5 sails and released 3 of them. Also, they had time to practice snorkeling in Playa Huevos.
On May 24, 2013
- The Ron Shepperd group, a large party of 16 people were fishing out of Riu Guanacaste on board the T-BOAT, the 44ft Hatteras, the BRINDISI 37 and LA CHILA-G. People on board the two larger boats had a nice day but no sails landed, just a few dorados; however, the group on bord LA CHILA-G had a bussy 6 hours trip. They released one saifish, caught 4 dorados, a very good size hamberjack, a cubera snapper, a roosterfish and a lot of bonitos.
On May 18, 2013
- Thimoty Fields and two more friends from the Riu Guanacate hotel were deep sea fishing on board the CORMORAN boat. They had a nice day and landed a sailfish and 4 mahi mahi.
On May 5 and 6, 2013
Starting May fishing get better here in our region, including gulf of Papagayo, Flamingo and Tamrindo, sails and marlins come to the gulf after the schools of small dorados and bonitos that can be found in the gulf of Papagayo.
- Armando Muniz and his wife, Anna Marie Muniz, where fishing with us on board our LA CHILA-G boat and Arnaldo Mendez captain. They caught different species and i would like to share some nice pics we took in those two days.
Papagayo offshore fishing, on April 16, 2013
It is getting better!!!
- This time, Jesus Mendez, on board the CORMORAN boat took Paul Mariscal, his father and his son. The 3 of them were offshore fishing out of Playa del Coco. They had a nice day and landed 5 sailfish.
- Also, Arnaldo Mendez, on board LA CHILA-G boat took a guy from the the Riu Guanacaste hotel fishing offshore for a full day charter. They had a lot of sails raised and released 9 of them and also a big dorado.
Papagayo offshore and inshore fishing, on April 14, 2013
Captains have been reporting good offshore fishing. Rains are coming, fishing is improving and we hope it gets better with more species to catch such as wahoo and yellowfin.
- Tom Janukowicz who was staying at the Four Seasons Papagayo had a busy day fishing on board our LA CHILA-G boat with Arnaldo Mendez as captain. They were fishing near the Bat islands and released 8 small roosterfish, 2 good sized hamberjacks and 2 big jack jurel.
- Bill Lloyd and two more friends were fishing out of the Riu Guancaste hotel on board our CORMORAN boat. They have a excellent offshore fishing day and landed 8 sailfish and one blue marlin.
Fishing offshore out of Playa Conchal on April 13, 2013
- The Crystal Schmidth group was fishing offshore out of Playa Conchal on board LA CHILA-G boat and Arnaldo Mendez catpain. They had a nice day and raised 9 sails and landed 4 of them.
on March 20, 2013
- Lisa Penner and his husband were fishing with us on board our MONO boat. They had a nice day and caught a few dorados/mahi-mahi in the gulf of Papagayo, near the Bat islands.
Forecast for Papagayo on February 15, 2013
Low windy condition in Papagayo/Flamingo/Tamarindo regions of Guanacaste in the northern corner of Costa Rica. The pic below show how the weather looks like for these days. It is not common since it is the windy season; however, we have had good conditions for fishing.
On February 12 and 14, 2013
The Robert Perez group staying at the Grand Papagayo resort were inshore/roosterfishing fishing with us on board LA CHILA-G and Arnaldo Mendez captain. The pics below show two good sized roosterfish they released plus other inshore species such as hamberjack and others.
On January 24,
We have had good weather conditions in Papagayo, Guanacaste. A few windy days, however, excellent fishing conditions right now and good fishing for both: inshore and offshore.
- Kennet Pucel and his 7 years old son from the Riu Guanacaste hotel were deep sea fishing on board the LA CHLA-G boat and Arnaldo Mendez captain. They landed this 250 pounds blue marlin.
On January 19,
- Bonnie Whaley and 5 more friends where inshore fishing for a half a day out of the Riu Palace Costa Rica on board LA CHILA-G boat. They had a busy few hours of fishing, released this nice rooster, caught 2 jack jurel and 3 bonitos.
Weather conditions - January 15, 2013
i know this is the windy season in Costa Rica and some kind of windy conditions are expected as in past years; however, for some unknown reason, we have had very low windy conditions this year, therefore, excellent conditions for fishing: not at all or very low winds, very good water temperature, clear waters and good fishing for both: inshore and offshore. When fishing offshore, captains are reporting sails, big dorado and striped and black marlins. Fishing inshore has been good for roosterfish, jacks, tunas and other inshore species.
On January 14,
- Bruce Bolasny and his wife, from the Westing Playa Conchal, were deep sea fishing on board LA CHILA-G boat and Arnaldo Mendez captain. The weather conditions were fantastic and also the fishing. They raised 5 sails and landed 3, also caught 4 big sized dorados.
- Sibila Munoz and his boyfriend were deep sea fishing out of Playa Conchal on board the BRINDISI 37 boat. They released 3 sails can caught 4 dorados.
- Adolfo Mendez, on board the CORMORAN boat, were deep sea fishing with a couple from the Riu Guanacaste. They released a nice stripped marlin, one sailfish and caught two dorados.
On January 10,
John Gidzinski and his wife, from the Riu Guanacaste hotel, were deep sea fishing on board the MONO boat. They landed a stripped marlin and 4 bonitos. Unfortunately, the only pic we have from the marlin is the one shown below.
We want to thanks to http://www.costa-rica-fishingtrips.com/tamarindo-fishing-reports.htm
for the latest fishing reports. Visit this site if you want to read about the latest fishing reports in Papagayo and Flamingo beach.